While at places of work, people are exposed to various dangers that may compromise their health & safety. There is always something that, just a little out-of-ordinary occurrence can trigger to make your life miserable. Take for example a company that deals in acids, if floods make their way through to find that there are no safety measures taken, everyone inside is done for. It is for these reasons among others that there are laws and regulations which govern and regulate the standards of safety and health in the places of work.
One may think that by working in offices where they deal with only papers and files they are out of danger. This is actually far from the reality. Papers may not harm you, yes, but have you ever thought of what might happen when that roof over you crumbles or what may happen when the desk on which you sit changes places with you? This may sound absurd, but it is actually possible. Earthquakes strike when they are least expected and the damage they cause both to property and life is unimaginable.
There are some common health & safety measures that can be observed at places of work to minimize the probability of calamities.
- The machines that are installed and every other thing that is used must meet the provided standards.
- Installation of smoke sensors and fire extinguishers. Whenever fire starts, the sensors trigger the alarm. This gives the workers ample time to leave the building before they are surrounded by the flames. When there is effective fire extinguishing equipment, the fire can easily be taken care off before it destroys life more property.
- Workers who deliver their services in companies dealing with toxic substances are exposed to serious potential health hazards. It should be upon the company to ensure that the workers are safe. They should be provided with protective clothing, like gloves and masks. Availing to them plenty of water so that they are able to wash up may also be of great help.
- First aid kits must be present at all times. Situations arise when rushing someone to the hospital is close to impossible. The effects of fire burns or contact with corrosive chemicals may be reduced using first aid.
- Arrangement matters a lot. While doing it, it is important to ensure that in any case they fall off; they do not fall all over the place. Make it as short as possible.
- Workers should not go about their duties if they are sick or exhausted. This may put their lives and that of those they work with at risk.
There are professionals who offer their services in safety in employment. They give advice and install systems which comply with the law.
Health & Safety Systems Limited designs systems which suit the individual needs of clients while at the same time meeting the requirements of the law. With their base at Rangiora, North Canterbury, the company offers its services to all business types.